Lake Como can provide a range of adventure sports and outdoor activities – on the water, on land and in the air. And you don’t have to be an expert, or even to have ever done them before, to take part. International centres of excellence typically offer classes for beginners and improvers, including kids.
So unless you’re visiting the Lake for serious relaxation or sightseeing and excursions (or even if you are) you might want to think about trying an activity you’ve never really considered before. Imagine going back home and answering the usual polite holiday questions with the news that you learned to sail, or windsurf; drove around the Lake in a motorboat or on a jet-ski, or jumped into the mountain air attached to a tandem parachute or paraglider.
So here are our top ten adventure sports and activities at Lake Como:
- Enjoy the experience of sailing in a skippered boat, or hire a boat and sail yourself. If you don’t know how, you can take part time lessons and learn enough in a few days to sail yourself in future. There are classes for kids too.
- Hire a motorboat or jetski.
- Hire the equipment and go windsurfing or kitesurfing. If you don’t know how, there are classes for adults and kids.
- Hire mountain bikes and ride mountain trails or downhill sections.
- Hire a kayak and paddle your own canoe.
- Hire equipment for waterskiing or wakeboarding, or take lessons from the experts.
- Try rock climbing or associated sports such as ‘canyoning’ – walking, climbing, swimming and jumping through water-filled gorges.
- Make a tandem parachute jump or paraglide with an expert.
- Ride, or learn to ride, horses.
- Enjoy a flight over the Lake in a seaplane, landing on the water for a swim if you like.